Monday, September 27, 2010

Guanoman - Minor Attack of Glass Sickness

Hear The Track Here

Question for you fight fans, what links Mr Robert DeVore, the lives and loves of rat men, Huntarr, the Living Weapon, and someone gradually sealing every orifice in his head? Enter stage (far) left: Guanoman!! Now in case you are easily offended and think that I am taking all this birdshit thing way too seriously, you obviously know nothing about this musician and his - how can I put this kindly? - predilections. Guanoman is experimental like no other musician I know of, as far out there as Pluto and equally as inscrutable.

Not that its made any difference to me I've liked whole swathes of Guanoman (and offshoots) output and never been afraid to say so either. Mind you, that isn't what I said when I reviewed Bokonosolonoronach (October 2003) but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, and this is a musician who innovates at a prodigious rate. Damn, has it really been that long??? The mind boggles. So, my little chums, two words to cling tightly to in the coming earstorm: experimental and nutter. A brand new track from his new album, Minor Attack of Glass Sickness shows you exactly how nuts.

Pfft, I hear some you say, I said Pilesar was out there but we quite like him, how bad can Guanoman be? OK, let me spell out the approach method. Sidle into this track slowly, try it on low volume at first and if it doesn't send you into seizures, it may be safe enough to give it some poke. Don't blast it out with the windows open though because you could get arrested for the side effects. Anyone who can mention both Mesheggah and Sun Ra in the same list of influences can't be all there musically, know what I mean? Having said that, like Pilesar, if you listen to the music enough you recognise that underneath all that wtfry is a very serious musician, a totally off the wall, wild eyed, mad scientist of a musician granted but one nonetheless. Me, I love this stuff, so what does that say about me?

OUT THERE must have (Ed: that doesn't look right...)

No comments: