Friday, December 24, 2010

Zebrabook - Boy In The Forest

Hear The Track Here

As usual with me, I have a few side projects on the go at the same time. My task this month, besides researching the year past and writing these reviews, has been to listen to the latest LP from Zebrabook, which has become something of a blessing in my quieter moments. Boy In The Forest, the track in question is the one in question here though but I would say that the LP is worth getting because it shows, to me anyway, quite a different side of the musical (and organisational) talent of Jon Bushaway (also known as The Dead Company). Ever since I met him at the beginning of the decade, this has been one musician who has continually kept me on my toes (literally in some cases) with some of the most challenging and difficult music I have ever heard.

So why Gilmore, I hear you mutter, don't you just tell him his music is rubbish and to *** off out of it? Well, because it wouldn't be true. Just because you may not like (wildly) experimental music, doesn't mean to say there is no point or validity in it. Over the years I have developed a healthy respect for the music this man makes, as well as a bad back and earache from his more prolonged masterworks. Sitting here with my perspective glasses on though, I sense movement in the undergrowth. While Jon has always been musically verbose, sometimes that can work to his detriment and I suspect he knows that. Since setting out on the Zebrabooks path a couple of years ago, Jon's style has - to my ears - changed quite dramatically and nowhere is this more evident than on Boy In The Forest.

As much as The Mothers Of Invention (Ed: as in Frank Zappa and...) fascinated me in a weird sort of way, it wasn't until they started making things like Hot Rats that they finally gelled as something completely different. Boy In The Forest is Jon's Hot Rats moment and like the immortal album is some music you are not likely to hear anywhere else. Music that has an odd, slightly out of whack beauty that is inspiring. The level of detail in the production and arrangement merely show just how much experience Jon Bushaway can bring to bear. Out of all the tracks I have reviewed from this musician (and we are talking scores) none touched me quite like this tour-de-force. And don't, DO NOT, whatever you do, ask me to describe what it is because I haven't a clue and I don't care anyway. It's special (oh and seven minutes long).

MUST HAVE electronica.

No comments: