Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wreckless Music (Ejay) - Words Kill

Hear The Track Here

If you despair of never being able to find any decent hiphop around, then look no further because I have the answer. When I first met Alabama based rapper Wreckless Music (Ejay) it was with Gemini (September 2007), a track I didn't particularly like much outside of the vocal treatment and the rap. I finished off the review by saying 'There again, early days yet...' and that has proved to be the case because over the past two years Ejay has turned into a class hiphop artist with a style and flow he's made his own. He's had two Must Have's from me in that time; Old Times (October 2008) arguably his best track so far, and Times In My Life (May 2009), both tracks showing off what makes him so different.

For me the main thing with this genre is that it makes sense to me, both in terms of content and musical context. It has always been a hallmark of this rappers output that his lyrics are always interesting, insightful and usually carrying serious messages, for me the very epitome of what created hiphop in the first place. Since those far off days of 2007, Ejay has mastered both the art of getting the right music to back him (the production on this is courtesy of Sik Beats, and is of very high quality) and getting that music and his rap to marry together seamlessly. Admittedly, there is still a hollowness to the vocal sound but, to be honest I've become used to that from this guy.

Words Kill is a cautionary tale about discretion, especially in public - and yes the Internet is very, very, public. Again, Ejay rises to the challenge by leading the listener through a very vidid episode happening on the Washington DC metro between a family of four in front of his eyes, capturing the scene with incredible detail and a delivery that fits like a glove. It shows that Ejay is an observant and cogent eyewitness to his life, and this track illustrates just how different this guy is to the normal 'get rich and famous' routines that infest all levels of hiphop. This, my friends, is the real deal.

Knockout hiphop. MUST HAVE for fans, Highly Recommended nonetheless.

No comments: