Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Antennaheadz - The Boy Who Took The World

Hear The Track Here

Who'd have thought a few years ago that Thomas J - a well known member of the early Soundclick experimental clique then known as Station For Imitation - could metamorphose into a geetar strummin' plaintive kinda/sorta folk singer? Well, you don't see my hand up here because I had no fenerking idea that the then bane of my life would turn into something....well....how to put this?......listenable. Charming, even. I do like this new version of The Antennaheadz very much as past reviews have shown all too well. never thought I'd be praising the man either - it just shows to go you.

Or something like that.

Considering that we are absolutely swamped by endless streams of one man bands, there aren't many that actually sound like a one man band. Listening to the beginning of this track I instantly had a picture of a guy with a guitar, hi hat strapped to his legs and a bass drum on his back. It's actually an neat introduction, although there are going be people harping about lo-fi, but what do I and Thomas J care? What comes after that intro is what counts and on that score I'd say Thomas has got it just about right once again. Yeah sure, it's a bit wobbly and decidedly lo-fi retro (and very reminiscent of Syd Barrett's early work) but give it a play or two.

The Boy Who...etc is - like a lot of Thomas latest output - a song, first and foremost. As a musician he's always had an eye to odd rhythms and timings and the structure and flow of this track show it off wonderfully. Personally, I'm amazed at how good at this style Thomas has become in such a short time. It's all part of the learning curve, as the excellent outro will tell you and Thomas J/The Antennaheadz are getting right on top of their game. Give this bad boy enough time and, believe me, it'll steal you away. Get a beer for this man!!!!

MUST HAVE Alternative rock.

No comments: