Wednesday, October 18, 2006

D-Connection - So Far Away Live

Hear The Track Here

Lurking behind that luridly disco-fied bandname is a well known MP3 Unsigned face Drainage. Over the last year or so, I've heard a fair bit of this artists work, including what was to become one of my all time favourite songs, although tragically not the way any of us would have wanted it. Hans Mulders (aka Drainage) was part of the collaboration (with the late, much missed Mary Gottschalk) that came up with the work known to most of us as Silent Storm (January 2006). Considering this is a ballad of the highest order (a three hankie job at least), it's a big surprise to me that this track meant so much too me - and that was before Mary's untimely death. Since that time mind, Drainage has delivered plenty of good stuff in his own right including at least one Must Have, so life goes on...

So Far Away is your own private session with the fabled Lollievox, unless you count the other 50,000 people in the audience that is. Put that way, it seems about as private as taking your bollocks out in public and having a good scratch. While you are still puzzling your way out of that one, I'll get on with wondering just how big Hans' bedroom is that he can get that amount of people in it. I have to admit that none of this fazed me from grooving right along with what these two collaborators have come up with, and I'd hazard a guess and say that it would probably go down a real treat with you too.

I first encountered Lollievox when I reviewed Redshirt Theory's track Moon Shine (July 2006) to which her voxes (as it were) and saxaphone were added to make a fine dance brew, but I think this track is the first I have heard a 'proper' vocal from this quarter. As I mentioned before, I have a preference for the more dulcet female tones, and Lollie's is right up there with the best of them. Join the crowd and listen to the first 40 or 50 seconds of this and you'll see what I mean. Of course, by now the track will be registering with you and you notice that the drummer is pounding the crap (in a good way) out of his kit to propel this song along. Aaahhh, that'll be the Hans effect. With its propulsive qualities on overdrive and Lollie sweet talking her way into your life this is a sure fire light-up-your-life track. As live as you are ever going to get it. Nice trick, btw.

A quality collaboration and Highly Recommended.

No comments: