Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Nuff X - Truth Be Told

Hear The Track Here

While it was absolutely wonderful to review a new Muted Silence track (Soul Scar) last month, I have to admit that as much as I like the pairing of Omnisine and Nuff X as Muted Silence, I've also developed a heady taste for Nuff's increasingly bold solo work. For the past year or so I have watched this artist grow and his rate of progression has been wonderful to behold (and hear). Although he still plays electronica, like a lot of artists he is now beginning to play with a great many other influences too and that can never be a bad thing. Ultimately what it has done is to shape and sharpen the Nuff vision to the point where he would get serious attention (or what would pass for it in this Internet Age).

Wot, you mean image? Do I ****!!. S'abhat the music mate, always.

Speaking of which I would advise that you approach Truth Be Told as something of a learning curve, especially if this is the first time you have heard of Nuff X. Long term Soundclickers have learned that Nuff can wander into some pretty strange musical alleyways and Truth Be Told opens up a whole new seam to wander around in. To my ears, this track is much more experimental (in sounds and tricks anyway) than the dnb/glitch that has been his trademark over the past few tracks.

So, not an easy listen then but - especially if you do like this artist - a sonic treat if you like that kind of thing. One thing is for certain you would have to be a primo contortionist to be able to dance to it. It's a tough, dense sound too which I think only helps to pile on the pressure. It wasn't until I had really taken the track onboard that I was able to square my first impression (the track is the bastard child of electronica and ethnic processed through the mind of a mad rocket scientist and shot to the moon. Or at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

An atmospheric departure for Nuff X. Highly Recommended IDM.

No comments: