Thursday, May 29, 2008

Berino - Saturation

Hear The Track Here

I didn't know anything whatsoever about Berino or the music he/she/it made going into the review which is rare, because I usually try and pick up a little info as I'm downloading the track. Must have missed that with Saturation and ended up with nothing but the music to guide me. Which is why I ended up assuming that Berino was a) Italian and b) he was heavily, heavily into my least favourite genre; trance. Having said that, I think I frightened my neighbours somewhat by bellowing **** off!! Not real!! and other such urbanities to my sound system. Why was I doing this? I hang my head in shame and admit, with great sorrow, that I actually enjoyed this light and refreshing track and it is - most definitely - Trance from the old school.

Before you all dash off into the streets shouting 'the end is nigh?? ' and 'run away', let me put your minds at rest. I haven't gone barking mad suddenly, I genuinely enjoyed this 'reminder of blissed out times' because of precisely that reason. I liked the genre initially, like most people at the time I found it exciting and vibrant but it died the death of suffocation through too many wannabes. This is a splendid recreation of what it sounded like way back in the day and as a nod of respect to the genre, a very worthy listen.

Obviously it isn't going to be of any use to you if you don't like the genre, but if you have any interest in the history of dance music at all, this should be checked out. It's the feel and the energy that keeps you listening. just as it did back in the day. After all, there isn't really that much that you can do with 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4...and what tricks there are Berino includes them in the track. As I said at the beginning, I had made a couple of assumptions based on the music only. Matter of fact, Berino is from Liverpool, England and an electronica artist I'll no doubt be listening to further on the strength of this excellent Euro-disco tribute.

Excellent old school Trance. Recommended.

No comments: