Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Buzrk - Torched In

Hear The Track Here

As you know, I spend a lot of time thinking about music as well as playing and reviewing it. The way things work out always fascinate me. When I was but a shallow, callow youngster I was fortunate enough to experience the birth of rock music (as opposed to rock and roll, you understand) and - for a while - we all knew what the term 'rock music' actually meant. Then, like all things, it splintered into a million different varieties. The same thing with rap. Back in the early 1980's we all knew what rap meant, but much more to the point - like rock - it was raw, vibrant and with enough attitude to literally change the world. Then, it splintered and now there are so many different forms of hiphop and rap it's frightening. Oh God, you are thinking, he's going to vent... Buzrk and I haven't had the best of times in the review stakes and I feel bad about that. The last track I reviewed, Revolution Threats Level 2 (May 2009), I spent more time apologising about ripping the poor guy a new butt than commenting on the music.

The reason for that is just as relevant for Torched In - but with one exception. This time I get to read the words!! Seriously, one of the main charges I have levelled at this artist has been the difficulty understanding what he's saying and no, it isn't because I don't understand the various forms of patois. Listen if I can understand even the deepest Jamaican accent, I can deal with anything. I think I've personally come to the conclusion that Buzrk - at least in his rap stance - is definitely going to be an acquired taste. Not that he can do anything about it, a voice is a voice innit? Music this time out is from someone called Headshot Inc and - to be blunt - it's exactly what I expected when I saw the name.

Buzrk definitely prefers the stripped down, with lots of plucky, plinky things (Ed: plucky=ie strings pulled with the fingers as opposed to bravery) and I don't particularly like that style anyway. H-O-W-E-V-E-R, seeing as I get the words this time, I can get a bit more out of this Buzrk track than others. Can't say it makes an awful lot of difference, to be honest, although some of the little touches with the vocal were good and some lines definitely tickled me (amongst mucho cussing, I might add). As I say, maybe an acquired taste. It's inevitable that I would use this quote and I sincerely hope that Buzrk understands that I am using this because its just too damn funny not to. See, the overriding line that kept returning to the front of my mind is at the end of the second verse and goes 'I just wanna reach the end of this gay song...' Weellll, it wasn't that bad, but close. I think we'll just have to admit that I don't get Buzrk and leave it at that.

Mind you, if he's serious, this will not put him off.

No comments: