Saturday, October 29, 2011

Gangbangsters - Killin It CD

Hear The Track Here


You will find a lot of the tracks on the Gangbangsters Killin It CD on the Soundclick page and regular readers will already be more than aware of some of this California based hip hop musician's wilder concoctions. Ryan Wixted (aka Gangbangsters) has proved time and again that he is at home with hip hop as he is with other musical forms and past reviewed tracks have shown a very active musical imagination so when he asked me to review this album I said **** yeah!! Now, don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't have done that if the WHOLE thing was hip hop, even I have my limits. There again, as I said, prior exposure to this musician has softened me up no end, and the first track on this thirteen track album will show you why.

Out of all the Gangbangsters tracks I have reviewed (15 or so) none has hit me harder than Letzgetfuctup (July 2010), a huge slab of high energy punk rock that goes like a bat out of hell and just as grimy. On this album that Must Have is followed by Brainwashed (December 2010) which got a highly recommended from me for being hip hop of a very high order, with a great song to go with it. Bobblehead (track three) is the first absolutely new track and to me and, to all intents and purposes, it's a rock song in the grand old order, although lyrically it's a bit naughty and would probably get a Parental Advisory slapped on it on Soundclick. Nonetheless, solid rock track for all that. Get Retarded (May 2011) got a good look in review-wise and is yet another awesome bassline slice of hip hop that just cries out to be played REALLY REALLY LOUD. I'm An Epidemic (January 2011) covers much the same punk rock ground as Letzgetfuctup and despite that being the better song, this is still energetic as hell and pogo material par excellence...and another Must Have.

New tracks Get Down Bitch (excellent rock based hip hop), No Dice and Make Nonsense continue in the rock/hip hop vein and - to be honest - I probably would have given them all good to high ratings anyway had I been reviewing them separately. What this shows is that this CD is probably about as close to getting the very best out of this musician you are likely to get, and there are still tracks worth talking about!! Californian Sleaze, for example, is as rough as a bears butt soundwise, but a really excellent slice of hard indie rock - if you can get past the lo-fi approach. The true test of albums worth IMHO is how many quality tracks it contains and seeing as this scores 13 out of 13 I'd say it would have to be...

MUST HAVE (even if you have to buy it!!)

No comments: