Friday, August 19, 2011

Gangbangsters - Choke

Hear The Track Here


One of the brighter spots of originality on Soundclick over the last couple of years has come from an unlikely source, artists that started out as hip hop musicians. I have heard some great stuff from Ryan Wixted (aka Gangbangsters) across a whole wodge of genres and you know I'm going to like a bit of genre bending (Ed: is that strictly legal Gilmore?) Since first introduced to us with Shoelaces (September 2008) where he showed the bare bones of what he was to develop into, releasing some amazingly strong tracks. Although, it has to be said right now, judging by Choke, you might find all this hyperbole a bit over the top, in which case I say check out his other stuff too.

He's always had an electronica side and this has been given free rein on Choke, which has more electronic weirdery that you can shake a toggle stick at. It's also experimental so I guess that is going to narrow the field down quite a lot, but hey there is experimental and there is experimental, know what I mean? Have a care though because the first time I fired this bad boy up the opening kick drum knocked my head clean off my shoulders and into the neighbours back garden. Awfully embarrassing asking for it back, They couldn't figure out why the knocking came on the front door but my voice issued from a pile of compost.

Apt, is it? Why I oughta...!!

I think I've probably heard every shade and variation of what Choke is trying to achieve and, in many ways, it succeeds. But is it something that Joe Q Public would want to hear? I doubt it, but anyone who likes the whole 'look what we can do with our knobs' school of modern music, we definitely find much to take notes over. For my taste, as I say, I've heard him do much better and I guess that colours my opinion of this piece, but I also found it a bit noisy - which or may not have been intentional..

Dark electronic mayhem.

No comments: