Saturday, April 19, 2008

Pidgeman - I Don't Know (What You Want)

Hear The Track Here

MP3 Unsigned's Pidgeman had a bit of a rough time from me when I reviewed Wasting Time (March 2008) a track that I felt needed a lot of improvement - a fairly common thread of my reviews of this particular artist. Which is odd because Pidgeman plays rock of various tones, and he plays it well too. Where the wheels start falling off the wagon is when you add into it arrangement, pitch and timing. If it sounds like Pidgeman's work is sub-standard then that isn't true either. He sounds like a very capable musician, although I think even he would have to admit that he's pushing it a bit vocally once or twice. He has done tracks I've liked more in terms of the song, and that is what I was looking for this time...

I have to say that my initial impression of this track was very positive, probably more to do with the fact that this track is yer actual rock, in every way. It also shows, again on first listening, that I Don't Know is at its heart a very, very decent rock song too and - here's the real clincher - the vocals are pretty much spot on. Even after having lived with this track it hasn't paled as much as some his earlier tracks did. Now, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here, and say that I think the reason I like this (and why it is so tight) is because this is the material Pideman feel comfortable with - and it shows.

I'm a sucker for a good, crunchy guitar laden, big hair rock song and the more I listened the more this track came to impress me. Again, everything you hear is made by the man himself and hey, give him credit this is r-o-c-k-i-n-g as you will see if you grab a listen right now. If I have a quibble (and its such a slight one it hardly seems mentioning, is that I think the vocals could have been a hair louder and not have the suffer because of it. Anyway, chump change in the scheme because this is a track that will have me shouting the chorus at complete strangers in the street , and that's always a joyous thing to behold. So, all together now, 'I don't know, I don't know, I don't know what you want from me!!'

Excellent rock song. Highly Recommended.

No comments: