Monday, July 30, 2007

Sleutelbos - Koffie Koffie Koffie

Hear The Track Here

I first came across this Dutch Experimental artist when I reviewed his classically inclined Hang 'Em High (nothing whatsoever to do with the film of the same name btw) and I have to say I quite enjoyed the experience. I do like huge swatches of the classical music field, especially Chamber Music and Hang 'Em High was of that variety and - as a consequence - the track got a highly recommended from me. Not bad for a first track but seeing as this artist is supposed to be an Experimental/Electronica artist I'm hoping that this time we get some bleepy bleepy instead of weepy weepy.

Yep, I am an incurable optimist.

Kofffie Koffie Koffie (as well as being the mating call of computer geeks worldwide) is - in this case - a laid back, almost jazzy track sung (presumably) by the artist himself. Beware though, the lyrics are in Dutch, so best not to try and prise any sense out of them - unless you happen to be Dutch of course. I get the impression that the song probably revolves around our great need for the two main foods groups of our existence: coffee and pizza, although I wouldn't be willing to take any bets on the accuracy of my translation. Whatever it all means, what it means musically is yet another variation on a theme, something Sleutelbos seems to like doing.

The whole thing is well tongue in cheek (Ed: he means a bit of a jokey peice, but he's too English to say it proper like wot I do) and - as such - it's quite funny. Mind you, like a lot of musical jokes, it wears off pretty quickly and then you discover that, at base, this is much more of a novelty track than just about anything else. OK, so it IS a good novelty track, but that doesn't change it's basic limited appeal - especially for listeners who maybe wouldn't like this style to start with. It's a track I could recommend listening to once or twice, just for a giggle, but long term this may prove irritating to the extreme. So, I'm still waiting for this artist to deliver a track that is experimental rather than a straightforward musical exercise. Mind you at just over two minutes this isn't going to strain anyones ears.

An interesting sidetrack, but only for a couple of plays.

No comments: