Friday, November 17, 2006

Fluidity - Aaromes

Hear The Track Here

First off, don't go asking me about the title, I'm automatically presuming it's something all very Down Under where one John Paul Carroll (aka Fluidity) has his abode. New Zealand to be precise. Instead, lets concentrate on the other title, the bandname, because it will give you some clues as to what to expect. Some dictionary definitions of the word 'fluidity' describe it so: Readily reshaped; pliable; smooth and flowing; graceful; changing or tending to change; variable. Absolutely ALL of those definitions describe what this artist is about when applied to his brand of guitar rock. A rare case of the name saying exactly what you are about to hear. Since I first reviewed this artist back in January of this year, he has established a fairly hefty prescence around the various sites he is on and rightly so - providing that you like his form of rock.

Having said that, I obviously do as the string of recommendeds I've handed out to this artist over the course of time show, although - somewhat to my surprise - he hasn't yet given me a track that I can right give a must have rating to but I think that is just a matter of time. 'The one thing he don't have' eh? Over the course of the tracks I have reviewed of his this year the first lesson I learned was that his tracks needed time to settle in your mind so this is probably no flyby casual play'll snag you merchant and you should probably download the track and give it some serious attention - always the best way anyway I find. Once you've done that and played around with the track for a while you may, like me and many others, see that Fluidity is an artist who fully deserves to be taken seriously.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is a definite sound to NZ based music. Split Enz had it, Crowded House had it and with that I've run out of names. How sad is that? Anyfekkinhow, Fluidity also has it so if you like either of those two commercial names you will find much to like in JP's work. The same dedication to songwriting at a high level, a remarkable attention to detail in both arrangement, performance and production. I have to say, the first time I heard this track, I wasn't sure I liked it. It wasn't until the more rocky part erupted that I finally climbed off the ceiling. Second and all subsequent plays soon smoothed that out and before very long the music itself worked its magic. Like a lot of us, John Paul operates on a shoestring and considering what he manages to come up with, it shows how much work this man puts into it as Aaromes (or A.A.R.O.M.E.S. to be absolutely exact) so amply shows - given the time to get to know it.

Which, course, I Highly Recommend (because I like classy Classic rock)

No comments: