Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Gangbangsters - I'm An Epidemic

Hear The Track Here

Think I'll to stop lumping LA's finest, Gangbangsters, in with the general hip hop hoi-polloi because although Ryan Wixted (aka whatsname) does indeed dabble in hip hop, his output is far broader than that and always has been. I first came across him in 2008 where he did kinda/sorta fit the general genre (if you know what I mean) but the last few track I have review have strayed further and further from the main genre. In fact of the three tracks that got him Tracks Of The Year 2010, not one is really hip hop any meaningful extent. In fact, if you like Letsgetfuctup (July 2010), a straightforward rock bellow and pelt, then BOY are you gonna love I'm An Epidemic.

Classed as Rock: Punk, this is one track I would have to say fits the label classification exactly. It's loud, noisy, boisterous as a box of enraged baboons, and - no doubt - covered with spit and safety pins. Not, I'll grant you, the kind of thing a whole lot of people would go looking for of an evening but punk - in it's truest forms - does continue to exist in tracks such as this. So don't be surprised when, upon pressing play, you are smashed in the face, kicked in the family jewels, deprived of your hard earned money and left in a state of confusion. Some people, I'm told, like that kind of thing. Some people obviously don't.

Actually I have always liked the raw energy, sheer rock power that really ******* angry punk delivered and nowhere is that personified more than in the Sex Pistols immortal God Save The Queen. I'm An Epidemic tackles that side of the picture and does a right bang up job of it, and I knew that the creator of Letsgetfuctup had more of that up his sleeve, and it STILL blew me right to ****. Turning out that Gangbangsters also start the year running after last years successes, another indicator of how good this year could be. Obviously you will have to put up with sound and mix as rough as a bears bollocks, and a singer that spits the lyrics into your ears but personally I can put up with a track as good as this.

**** you punk!! MUST HAVE.

No comments: