Friday, January 21, 2011

Charlie A - Before The 3AM Alarm

Hear The Track Here

These days, London's Charlie Armour should be rightly considered a Soundclick veteran, the man has been around long enough. I first came across him when I reviewed Bebee Bubba (July 2006) which - looking back - was an accurate picture of what Charlie is about - fun with sound. His finest hour, and something that will probably dog his footsteps until the end of his days, is that he is the composer of Read The Rules (June 2009), arguably the most poignant of online statements and one supported by every forum member I know. Of course, the problem is that it's made the rest of us lazier than ever. Where the flames of outraged egos at the temerity of SOME NOOB to post inappropriately singed the rest of us on a regular basis, these days it's easier to click the link to Read The Rules. It does what it says on the tin, after all.

and nobody dies. 'magine that.

Charlie has done a number of very fruitful collaborations over the years, and Before The 3AM Alarm is one such. Written and sung (I presume) by Trina Brunk and (also presuming) scored and produced by Charlie boy. A lot of presumptions I know but I don't want to blot my copybook do I? Dr Seuss's famous Green Eggs and Ham makes a surprise appearance in the intro but don't let that confuse you, because it may sound a bit like nursery rhyme it soon develops into a far deeper, slinkier being indeed. Listening through I was struck by how much Trina sounded like a cross between Tina Weymouth (as in Tom Tom Club) and the older female rhythm and blues singers. Whatever it is, this is an authoritative voice, one used with confidence and no mean skill.
It's a given, of course, that Charlie should come up with the musical/production goods. He always has. Again though he's gone on a nice little detour with this track and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised by it, especially after that simple nursery rhyme intro. What comes out eventually is a full blooded piano blues a la Jools Holland that, although restrained, really fits the style of the song. The arrangement is pretty stripped down and between Trina's vocal and the music is where I think I get the Tom Tom Club connection from. A very nice piece of work indeed and I look forward to hearing some more of Ms Brunk. Charlie, meh, he's always around :P

Awesome. Simple but effective. MUST HAVE Pop.

1 comment:

Trina Brunk said...

Thank you Steve for the kind words!
I clicked on the link and can't find the song . . . .
in peace,
Trina