Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sandro Cuzzetto - More Than Me

Hear The Track Here

I don't know what they put in the water in Kamloops, Canada but I want to go there and have some. I've heard a great many very talented musicians from that small city (population of 80,000 or so) and all of them interesting and diverse. One of the leading lights of Soundclick, Cam's Even Song resides in that fair city - as does Sandro Cuzzetto. Sandro, like Cam, is a Christian musician who is not afraid to bring his faith into the musical arena and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. More Than Me is even billed as Christian rock but personally I don't let labels like that worry me and - I hope - neither do you.

Music is music right? The international language.

The first thing to be said about More Than Me is that, regardless of the song, Sandro knows how to make the most of what he has. If that sounds like damning with faint praise, it isn't so. Like a great many of us, Sandro makes everything at home and - as so often - it does give a kind of 'demo' quality to a track no matter how hard you try. As always I try to get past that, trying to focus on the song itself but sometimes - as is the case here - the overall production does get in the way of complete enjoyment. Where More Than Me scored for me was lyrically. Its a shame that intelligent, pointed lyrics are a rarity these days and the lyrics of More Than Me hark back to a time when lyrics were every bit as important as the music they rested on.

The real problem with the track was that I found it quite lightweight, in terms of production and musical vision. Try as I might I couldn't really get as close to this track as I could to the lyrics, but that may be just be me being crotchety. The guitar feels light weight, and contrasts with the vocals which are pitched quite high, even though Sandro has a really good voice the production doesn't really bring its true sound out. Moreover, you can't really hear the backing vocals at all and that's a real shame because I think they are very important in putting the chorus across. Nonetheless, More Than Me is a very decent song and - should you like rock with a decent message (for a change), this will definitely fill a hole in your collection.

Recommended rock with a message.

No comments: