Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Peach Tree - Mind Soul Dark Light

Hear The Track Here

I think it would be fair to say that my involvement with Australia's The Peach Tree has had its moments; leaving me baffled and/or amazed at every turn. Put it like this, he has given me as many tracks I like as he has given me tracks that just didn't cut it at all. Can't fault the man for keeping on trying though and - if he's one thing - his output is pretty prodigious. Mind Soul Dark Light is a track from the Fabric album, of which I think this is the first track I have heard. So here's the thing. The track is billed as Pop and yet is over nine minutes long. It's actually much more goth rock than anything else, and pretty good goth rock at that so why not go with that? However, I noticed while I was downloading the track that it had 136 listens and 132 downloads so whatever I say seems pretty irrelevant. See, in my books, anyone who takes the time to download your tracks is a true fan of what you do, and that means more than any review.

So, nine minutes long eh?

It's actually not the trek it seems because - as I say - the dark, foreboding nature of the track, and its instrumentation is very goth flavoured and it happens to be an area of music I have a lot of time for. The Peach Tree makes a damn good job of it too, veering from an almost spoken vocal to a sub-Rammstein basso profundo that works a treat. Like a lot of this artists tracks, Mind Soul Dark Light is really just an extended song and in this case it (just) does the trick - and probably more because I like the style than because of any excitement inherent in the track.

The reason I love the goth music scene so much is because the Devil definitely has the best tunes. Despite all the doom and gloom, blood and gore that the genre is steeped in (and this track is no exception lyrically) a large amount of these kinds of track have a stark, austere and sombre beauty that really draws me. The intro of this track kinda suggested that but didn't actually deliver much in the way of beauty because the subdued intro was is soon overwhelmed by quite a neat bit of guitar shredding that then leads into the song proper. More power to TPT because his vocals - if a little lo-fi - fit the track perfectly and is a much more coherent track than some of his previous efforts. There again, at nine minutes plus, it does demand that you spend time getting to know it and, in most ways, I'm glad I did.

Adventurous melding of styles. Recommended.

No comments: