Friday, April 10, 2009

333maxwell - Rush Limbaugh (an American folk song_

Hear The Track Here

Ever since I first came across Chas Holman (aka 333maxwell) there has been no faulting his ability to genre hop with the best of them. "Oh", he says blithely, "haven't given you a folk rock track yet so there you go", thrusting some noxious American twat at me as if I were likely to touch Rush Limbaugh. In case your name is *^$&*%$£$*()((*-per and you are from the planet ^**£^£*£, Rush Limbaugh is an American 'shock-jock' - an unofficial but highly effective political commentator. Put it like this, the man has a way with words whether you approve of his stance or not and I personally do not - in any way. I can, however, see the American fascination with figures such as Limbaugh who is only saying what many believe to be true - no matter how far fetched it may seem.

Even, I might add, to the planet ^**£^£*£.

I think it would be true to say that 333maxwell and Rush Limbaugh wouldn't strike up a friendship at a party. The song's chorus starts with the line 'theres a special place for you, hells too cold for what you do' which pretty much sums up the feelings here. Musically, the folk rock tag fits like a glove. Sounding a lot like Mr Zimmerman (Ed: that'll be Bob Dylan to you) in the verses and George Harrison in the oddy pitched chorus, Chas has a surprisingly confident voice that delivers the nasty to Rush Limbaugh with great and obvious relish. Of course, there isn't a lot to it; guitar, gob-iron (Ed: harmonica) and vocals and that's yer lot.

However, I'm a big fan of less is more and in this case (and certain other lo-fi artists) the song and delivery is more than worth putting up with the odd fluff here and there. Try as I might though, I couldn't seem to get close to the chorus and - to be honest - I was almost about to give up on it when it finally clicked for me. What finally did it was the realisation of what a terrific little folk song this is, harking back to the time when writing highly topical - and thought provoking - lyrics was the norm rather than the rarity it is these days. At least as far as the RW music business goes. Probably the best vocal yet from this excellent songwriter and I'm sorry about the crack about the chorus, but it is weird isn't it? Max bites Rush exclusive! Film at 11 or here if you can't wait.

Highly Recommended Folk Rock song. MUST HAVE for me.

No comments: