Friday, August 24, 2007

Pilesar - Slipping on Eggs on the Floor

Hear The Track Here

And now a special treat for Soundclick's very own P word and mad aural scientist Pilesar (pronounced Pile leeeezar ooh aarrr), and I can hear the complaint emails thundering in as I speak. Special Treat!! WTF are you on Gilmore???? Now I say to those carpers that IMHO Pilesar is one of THE most innovative, experimental, challenging artists you are ever likely to meet, on this site or on any other. It's easy of course, when you are a law unto yourself and - in every way - Pilesar is exactly that. Don't expect any ooohh and aaaaahhh moments though; Pilesar ain't big on them. What he is big on is stretching your earholes, clambering down your ear canals and fekkin with your brain.

And now he has accomplices!! Run away, I tell you!!

I've heard a couple of live peices from this artist before, except in a different guise (Mandible was it?) and they are some of the most exhilarating (as a musician anyway) peices I have heard although - this being Pilesar - the material is bound to stray over to the Dark Side. So, it goes without saying that you are in for almost five minutes of complete musical mayhem, courtesy of Pilesar's new band; although he neglected to mention who exactly is doing what. Yay and to who? The reason I like the live side of this artist is because this is where he usually shines - like a crazy diamond.

Pilesar is an American artist following in the grand tradition first experienced by us with the likes of Captain Beefheart and the incomparable Frank Zappa to whom this track owes a substantial debt, so if you have an inkling of what I am talking about you will already be listening. For those yet to take the plunge, Slipping On Eggs is an egregious mix of rock, jazz and all points doo lalley and I seem to have overdosed on linkages so be warned, this is what it does to your mind. Personally I absolutely loved both the Captain and the Mother at their respective peaks so I'm bound to like the free wheeling, whatever comes feeling this track displays with every note. Definitely not to everyone's taste, but I do like to wander over the the wilder side every once in a while ESPECIALLY when Pilesar is involved. The definition of egregious I linked to above says the word means both outstanding and conspicuously bad or offensive and both will come into play when playing tracks of this ilk. Love it or loathe it.

Probably an acquired taste (Ed: read addiction) but nonetheless Highly Recommended.

No comments: