Friday, July 23, 2010

Gangbangsters - Letzgetfuctup

Hear The Track Here

If you experienced a moment of confusion the first time you encountered LA based Gangbangsters, then join the club. I did and now, six tracks down and counting, I'm probably just as confused but not - I might add - unhappy about it. See, the thing is I like to be challenged, like any intelligent person, and I like to be challenged musically more than anything else. Gangbangsters certainly supplied that. Let me see now, we have kinda/sorta hip hop/rap, electronica, punk, classic rock with a garage edge, oh and a slab of goth rock along the way. Notched up a couple of notables too, 6.17AM (April 2009) is the one that immediately springs to mind. The only gremlin in the works is literally that, gremlins in the works.

I've spent almost the whole of my life working with sound, live and recorded and it never fails to surprise me how much those accursed gremlins get everywhere - no matter how good or bad you are at what you do. Democratic, though, I guess. Gremlins, the Great Leveller. Ryan Wixted's (aka Gangbangsters) gremlins are mainly associated with overall sound and delivery, what the man does with those limitations I've never had a quibble with. I actually like the style and twist that he brings to the process reminding me, in a different way of course, of fellow Californian Twisted Angel. Letzgetfuctup (mmm, wonder what that could be about) says it loud and proud and again shows a different side of this musician.

One of the seminal rock influences for me was my first live experience of the MC5 in their heyday, the power and attitude they pumped out took absolutely no prisoners and I've been a big fan of high energy rock bands ever since. I mention MC5 in particular because (being a lazy git) it was the first thing this track reminded me of. Essentially the gist of it is this; light off a couple of bars to get going and then power down like there is no tomorrow. It helps, of course, if you have a song sandwiched between the licks and this is one of the mainstays of why Gangbangsters remain interesting for me, the songs are always very decent indeed. Even though this song (not going to write that title again ha ha!) is only one and a half minutes long and goes like a rat up a drainpipe, leaves a lasting impression, a longing to get....well.....you know.....

ROCK. In all it's glory. MUST HAVE.

No comments: