Friday, March 24, 2006

Alchemystic - The Tower Of Twilight

Hear The Track Here

I was lucky enough last month to get a sneak listen to Beyond the Borders of Reality a track from his new album and was absolutely blown away by it. In fact, over the past year or so, I think this artist has come on in leaps and bounds, and if the track is any indication the album is going to be a feast for the ears and no mistake. While it's true that soundtracks are the name of the game here, they can also be class peices of music. Music is music right? No matter what form it takes. In my world there are only two kinds of music; good and bad. I know that good and bad are - of course - personal choices and what I like often makes others blow chunks but that's life...

When I first started making and releasing computer music, one of my prime influences was a guy known as Dr Awesome. This guy had a magic touch. He was able to distill the funkiest grooves and yet somehow fit them into the smallest files possible. Try making a tune that was no bigger than 160k and you'll see what I mean. Most people these days feel quite proud if their efforts come in under 160MB. Dr Awesome soon adopted his birthname as an artist name and became an even bigger legend than he already was. These days almost anyone who has been around computer music knows of Bjorn Lynne, and if you haven't shame on you. One of the finer musical talents to come out of the internet so far IMHO. The reason I am yabbering on about this guy is because it's in that style that Alchemystic's new album is made in and if there is anyone who can pull this off, it would be this artist.

The Tower of Twilight is much more a soundtrack than say Beyond The Borders was, so you will need to bring a tolerance for the genre with you to be able to really enjoy it. Whichever way you look at it though, Alchemystic has a touch for this kind of semi-classical, epic feel, wide screen treatment that tracks like The Tower Of Twilight require and a deft touch at choosing the right sounds to make it with too. Although I could never - in all honesty - say I was a big fan of this kind of music, I can state that I am becoming a big fan of Alchemystic's work even in genres I don't really like that much. I have to say that I find more in his more modern work than I do with any of his cinematic work, but nonethless this artist just has to be reckoned with if you want to know what is happening on Soundclick.

Classy and stylish; not exactly John Williams but close, oh so close....

No comments: