Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Bob Lazar Story - There's No Trolley

Hear The Track Here

I knew that The Bob Lazar Story rang a bell and wasn't in the least bit surprised to find that I had reviewed them/him (one Matt Deacon to be exact) a couple of times last year. The music being prog rock is not the best of starts but TBLS has made a pretty decent job of making this much despised genre almost listenable again. I speak, of course, from a deep and bitter hatred of the whole prog rock look-at-me-I'm-wonderful routine. Clever musicianship does not always make for electrifying performance and it's all a bit noodly for when you want to get all jiggy jiggy with the nearest breathing female, but nonethless Double Turn Double Safe (July 2006) and ThreeFourFaster (August 2006) are not tracks that will disappoint even a casual listener.

Aaahh, but where's the stick-um? The stuff that keeps listeners glued to you...

OK, over to TBLS: 'In my mind's eye, when I visit the local fruit and veg store, I don't see the rank of trolleys that sit outside. That's the truth' is what he says the song is all about so that's certainly muddied the water considerably. Unless this is some arcane ritual, I have no idea what the man is saying here but hey, maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake. The first thought that might spring into the forefront of your brain is that the artist may be off his trolley because There's No Trolley is not an easy track to cosy up with - especially if you are of a nervous disposition.

This is a track that takes off like a scalded greyhound and gives no quarter so it's a given that you are either going to like it or not, as is usually the case with the genre. It also feels a lot more experimental than previous tracks but that may well just be my imagination. As usual with this artist, the emphasis is firmly on the riff, and there's bags and bags to choose from despite the tracks puny two minutes and change. Having a few plays under the belt can always tame the wildest beast, as proved to be the case here. What came across initially as a prime wtf musical moment ends up reminding me of some of the best work in Hot Rats, a Frank Zappa classic from my misspent youth.

Oddly likeable oddity.

No comments: