Sunday, January 14, 2007

Corey Drumz - The Retribution

Hear The Track Here

Don't listen to this track when you are feeling in a mellow mood :D

Corey Drumz is (at various times I guess) producer, promotor, bizkid and probably coffee maker as well but what I am still not sure about, even after reading his bio, is whether the man is a musician of not. I'm joking of course, but only partly. As far as I can tell I assume he is a musician/producer although I'm not sure what he has to do with this remarkable track. Remarkable?? Yep, I'll get to that in a minute. First off though, lets sew some more confusion. The Retribution is (and I quote) 'Written, Performed and Song Produced by C. Banks for I.K.E. Beat created by Dream Big Entertainment' See what I mean?? So who did what exactly?? However, I also have to say that - in all fairness - my head was still buzzing from the sight of some of their myspace 'ladies' Those are some fine, fine ladies and Corey is obviously a man of exquisite taste. The man knows his yummy right enough.

Judging by the sheer overpowering onslaught that is The Retribution, he knows his musical onions too. Reading the man's bio it's obvious that this would be hip-hop rap of a particularly high calibre. You can't be doing this stuff day in and day out for over ten years without learning a trick or two and whoever put this track together knows exactly how to illustrate the action. Oh by the way I do most sincerely mean action too, because the track slides into your ear canals as an audio episode of some gangbanger TV movie complete with ALL the relevant effects. I know what that looks like in words but believe me it means a lot more when you actually experience this track. Sure you would have to like your music a bit on the raw side (as in bloody, violent and short), be aware that hip hop has nothing to do with skipping and understand that rapping does indeed have a point - if used properly.

Musically, materially and lyrically The Retribution distinguishes itself against the competition with a knowing production, a light arranging touch and one of the most lyrically vivid raps I have heard in a long time. There is no doubt at all that this is helped along enormously with the addition of the inspired vocal clips being used throughout, but even so this is still a very powerful peice of music. Although it doesn't carry a Parental Advisory it does involve copious amounts of cussing, dissing and even a nice juicy killing to round it all off with. If that doesn't deserve a Parental Advisory then I don't know what does. It's the plot and the tension of the music that makes this track work though - despite its unerring ability to shock the first/second time you hear it - and why I would recommend you get a listen to this bit of musical mayhem. Mind you, be prepared, it is extremely graphic.

Take a walk on the wild side. Recommended Hip Hop.

No comments: