Friday, December 23, 2011

Speedpig - Hog Roast In Hell EP

Hear The Track Here

I seem to be hearing a lot of Welsh musicians just lately, Speedpig being the latest. Powered by a couple of likely lads by the names of Gaz and Mungo (aka Ben Scott and Gareth Richards) Speedpig have released a six track EP of Stoner Metal tracks which, it has to be assumed, the world has been in need of. Stoner Metal has actually been a bit of a favourite of mine over the years because I do like to see a guitar turned to matchwood for the sake of art. I don't mind extreme riffage either, so long as it has a point to it. What I can't stand is anything lacklustre, rock is balls out or nothing, know what I mean? Metal is where everything is out so it is even more important to hit the right target.

Going by their name, I've been wondering what Speedpig sounded like and now I've been there I'd say it was a very apt name. 'Fuelled by a powerful lust for solos, metal, bacon and methamphetamines' is the proud boast on their Reverbnation page and a quick bellow of Kill You To Death and a smart kicking from Dark Acid will show you they are men of their word. I've done loads of gigs over the past year with bands working in the same genre and style as Speedpig and judging by their work in Hog Roast In Hell in general they should be on every respectable hard rock playlist. However, as we know only too well, this does tend to be a small market and a very, very crowded one but there's always room for just one more... Speedpig will certainly make it worthwhile...especially if heavy riffage and seriously testicular vocals are what makes you nod your head (or whatever).

The hardest thing about this genre, I find, is making it an interesting listen as well as a bruising one and I have yet to come across a band that actually does it but I'll be sure to let you if I ever do. Speedpig acquit themselves very well, don't get me wrong, there isn't much wrong with any of the tracks on this excellent ear bleed of an EP and much that is so, so right. Got to give marks to the production side of things too, arranging, recording and mixing all this stuff was much more of a task than it might appear in first hearing. To really see how much energy, love and patience has been devoted to this six track EP you really have to put it on repeat for a good while... Then the walls start shaking....

Highly Recommended stoner rock.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You sеem to know sο much about this, like уоu
wrotе the boοk in it or something.
I think that you could ԁo with somje pics to drіve thе message home a bit,
but other than that, this iis excellеnt blog.
An excellent гeaԁ. I'll certainly be back.

Haѵе а looκ at my pagе; computer accessories