Monday, November 29, 2010

Weylin's Slayer Orchestra - Supernova

Hear The Track Here

When you see song titles like The Woods of Klorath, The Fall of Empyrius, The Oath of the Black Omen and The Kudarian Assault you know, with a mounting unease that you are not in Kansas anymore. Or even on this planet. Aaah, you say, must be either film soundtracks or games ones right? Weeeellll (waggles hand) kinda/sorta. Don't let the name fool you, Weylin's Slayer Orchestra is but one puny human and his predominant field is - I kid you not - Metal. Yep, the land of spots, lank hair and the dismissive sneer. Can't say, to be honest, that I have really seen much of a hint of metal so far because Flight Of Sideria (October 2010) was pure video game soundtrack material but done in a reasonably fresh way.

Now, Supernova, as well as being a tad on the hot side and consistent with the title motif emerging here, is also metal apparently but with a difference. Progressive metal is what is on offer and I have to say that is a very, very apt description of this track. Now while I do like metal in its many forms, I ******* hate - with a deep and abiding passion - progressive anything. Nothing to do with being a reactionary old fart (Ed: although he undoubtedly is) more to do with musicians noodling to themselves. Personally I'd rather sandpaper my face than listen to (gulp) prog-rock. So, is the metal variety any different? Not that I can tell.

Like Flight Of Thingie, what Weylin (and his assembled horde obviously) does on the track is fine enough, and even sounds good in places although it also features the fastest kickdrum you ever heard. All par for the course for progressive though innit and I guess that's what matters. From a musical point of view, Supernova is an interesting listen and while I wouldn't go and search it out I did like reviewing it (and for prog it's mercifully short). After many plays it is obvious that some of the builds and peaks just didn't work, either that or I need to get a new pair of ears. It's strangely flat, if you know what I mean. Where it should be building - and where the instruments are making the right moves - it just misses the 'rush' point.

Prog-metal anyone??

No comments: