Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pidgeman - Beast Of Halloween

Hear The Track Here

Well, well, look what the cat dragged in, as my old Mum is likely to say when faced with a prodigal son. See, we don't see anything like as much of Pidgeman as we used to, and that is a shame. However, the upside (and it's a biggie) is that the two tracks this year, Letter Of The Law (September 2010) and this one show a much more mature, relaxed and confident manner and it comes through with the music in a way I've rarely heard from this musician. See, we've had our ups and down over the years, and remember he is a rock musician and that's one of my favourites, and probably why I found holes to pick in some of his earlier work on another site, far away. Mind you, since then, he's definitely been on an upward trend, but IMHO these last two tracks show a seamless, whole character I have been wanting to see from this guy ever since I first heard him.

First off, Craig Matthews (aka Pidgeman) is a songwriter. End of. It has always been the main appeal for me because, as I said, we have disagreed on music before but there is no denying that the man has a gift when it comes to putting a coherent song together. Such a gift means nothing of course unless you have the musical muscle to deliver it properly and that is where the really BIG changes have occurred and all of them for the better. As I have said before, one of the major benefits of the way I review is watching a musician develop and - indeed - watching them 'come good'. It happens time and time again, but there is nothing to beat the buzz when you know that someone you have followed is suddenly right there, in the zone.

Take Beast of Halloween, for instance. A song written, probably under some constraints, for 'a Halloween themed contest on another site' Now you would think, given that fact, that it's going to be a bit of a rush job and if you think this whole Halloween thing is overdone anyway (which I most assuredly do) it probably wouldn't appeal. But remember what I said about a musician being in the zone? See, it doesn't really matter what you are singing/writing about in there, what counts is the way in which you deliver it and - believe me - it has to be faultless. Great song, excellent presentation and a songwriting skill that should be studied by anyone interested in how to make class rock on a grand scale.

MUST HAVE MONSTERING.

No comments: