Thursday, November 11, 2010

Howard Billington - OCD Demo

Hear The Track Here

So here we are at the ass end of yet another year and, as regular readers will already know, I have been turning to my roundup of the year which is almost upon us. I don't think it will come as any surprise to anyone that Howard Billington (in several guises) will play a significant part of the proceedings and with good cause. As a veteran Soundclicker, I've come to value anyone willing to be different, and in that class, there is (and can only be) one Howard Billington. The guy is grade A, certifiably unique both in sound and style and let's not even get started on the man's prodigious songwriting talent otherwise we'll be here all day. It's also pleasing to know that I am not alone in my appreciation of the finer points of Billington world, in the short time he has been around he has gained lots of fans.

And deservedly so. Go see.

OCD (obsessive–compulsive disorder) is a recognised mental disorder in its most extreme cases but I bet we all know someone (including ourselves) who exhibits such behaviour. However, it can be extremely unpleasant and not something you'd wish on anybody. Howard, of course to anyone who knows him, is almost like a musical version of the condition but so much more pleasant to get into. I'm a firm believer in taking life's **** and turning it into something more positive and that has always been one of the main appeals of Howard's work. His unrelenting good cheer and infectious humour belie what he has had to get through to turn out such incredible songs, and that just makes them more valuable to us fans.

Beware, however, that the 'demo' part of the title does apply but don't let that distract you from finding out more about young Howard, especially if you like little rays of musical sunshine. Sure, they may be a bit grubby soundwise (and this one certainly is) but when you put that up against the body of work he has already put online and remember that this is likely to get some much better treatment at some point in the future, it isn't that bad a deal. Moreover, the subject matter is the main thrust and Howard certainly has that covered. A very accurate description of what it's like. However, I have heard many cracking tracks from this source and although I see the potential in this song, I don't really hear it with this version. Good yes, and certainly worth a listen if you like what I've been describing, but I've heard much better from this musician.

Recommended nonetheless for the song and subject.

No comments: