Sunday, November 21, 2010

Patrick Lew's Band - The Only One I Love

Hear The Track Here

Isn't it funny how some of the trite and pithy sayings we all grew up with (and are often referred to as old wives tales) turn out to be true? I've seen the proof of that in my own life and I'm sure many of you have too. Think before you speak being the most obvious one. One of my own proofs has always been that old saw 'be true to yourself' and it also applies when I am listening to music. Patrick Lew (being totally true to himself) has hacked out a whole new niche for himself doing this, and I know he isn't in there alone. Surprisingly enough, there are people who understand what Patrick does to music and why but sadly, I am not one of them. That's what comes of being old I guess and I certainly bear the man no malice.

Although, reading the reviews maybe you wouldn't think so...

As a general rule I make sure that the track link is up and I can't seem to find this on Patrick's page but there again there are some 170+ tracks on there over seven pages. You do the math. I'm actually a little chuffed to be able to say that I think (can't believe I am going to say this) Patrick has actually improved. I know, boggled is not the word for it. See, Patrick is a great believer in free music, free thought and his music reflects that so it's best not to expect too much in the way of conventional structure or any of the rigors of 'normal' music standards.

It's one of the main reasons he has been so bruised by reviews, mine and others, but the man takes a tugging and keeps on chugging and you can't fault that. So when I say improved, this has to be taken when understanding where Patrick is coming from. Put it like this, this is a song with some structure - just some though - with the vocal kinda/sorta free-styling above that. And, prepare to be amazed, its in tune in some parts - just some though. Overall it is definitely better than a lot of his songs but still something I am obviously not going to get a taste for any time soon. There again, you may get it immediately and I'm not sure what that says about you or me.

No comments: