Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Rude Corps - Slowly/Suddenly

Hear The Track Here

I'm hoping that Rude Corps didn't catch me muttering curses under my breath when he said in this months review list that 'it seems like ages since I threw an instrumental your way' and presented me with Slowly/Suddenly. I am hoping he assumed I was saying 'too, too kind' instead of 'you ******* ********!' See, he can be a bit bolshy and its best not to cross him up, otherwise you'll be up before The Committee, which is why I am wearing my 'I can be an awkward sod too' T-shirt while writing this review (sigh) of an instrumental (sigh). The reason you find your old chum so down in the mouth is because I actually prefer Doll...er...Rude Corps venting political venom like no-one else I know.

Oh well, soldier on eh?...

Neil O'Brien (aka Rude Corps) and I have been around the block a few times since I first met him musically a few years ago and he has proved himself an excellent musician and collaborator but where he excels is on his soapbox. Obviously this is difficult with an instrumental of course and I admit to a certain amount of trepidation prior to hearing it for the first time. However, remembering Gilmore's first rule in life, do not piss the bitch-hog off, is uppermost. Mind you, this is a musician who has endless Must Have ratings from me so it can't be that bad can it? So, having sewn my sphincter tighter than tonto, I finally submitted myself to the track.

I am teaching my 11 year old son how to play the guitar and the first piece we tried was - what else? - Smoke On The Water, and I swear those are the notes that introduce this track. I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not been playing it with the sprog, but there ya have it. Anyway, it kept me listening to see where Rude Corps would go with it after that, and it turns into a strangely odd, but very enjoyable piece of electronic noodlage that shows he isn't just a one trick pony and it makes me wonder when I reviewed an instrumental Rude Corps track before... Sheesh, long term memory loss now.....

Amiable electronica, which makes a change. Recommended.

No comments: