Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Painted Water - The Chase Ft John Holgate

Hear The Track Here

Back to the rock right now though, although Painted Water first made me sit up and listen with an absolutely knockout World track - Feastia of the Sun (August 2010) - so this is another side of him. From the looks of things on his Soundclick page, he does a lot of collaborative work with guitarist John Holgate who you may also know. It's actually billed as guitar rock and for sure John Holgate sets the place on fire with some incredibly powerful licks, and some sterling acoustic work thrown in for free. Certainly if you have never heard any of John's work before, this will inspire you to check him out.

Painted Water is a minority musician insofar as he plays keyboards and considering we are eyebrow deep in rappers and elbow deep in guitarists, a welcome change of pace. What particularly impressed me with Feastia Of The Sun was its incredible attention to detail and it's even more staggering production values, it was a track that leapt out of your speakers loudly shouting how good it was. I'm really happy to say that the same attention and time has been spent putting The Chase together so obviously this is a musician of some considerable strength. After all, Feastia go a well deserved Must Have from me on all those things and so does The Chase.

What really singles this guitar instrumental out of the millions upon millions of of others is the seamless way these two musicians work together, a truly complimentary pairing. Now obviously it IS a rock guitar instrumental but certainly the score that Painted Water builds up behind that is most definitely world music, showing that this is preferred genre and speaking as a world musician myself, I can see I'm going to have to up my game because I sure as **** wished my tracks sounds this good. A totally dazzling combination of raw rock and world music that just blows me away...

MUST HAVE Rock/World hybrid.

No comments: