Thursday, September 21, 2006

Silvertrain - The End

Hear The Track Here

Even though John Silvertrain has become a one man song factory since their debut CD The One To Blame, the band Silvertrain hasn't been anything like as active. Last month, in fact, was the first time I had heard Ritchie Silvertrain in many a long day. Don't get me wrong, I think John Brandon is becoming an excellent songwriter and no slouch in the production department either BEEERRRTTTT it ain't Silvertrain is it? Moreover, the last we heard of Ritchie was on Turn Away (June 2006) which was still an unfinished and still rough at the edges track. And then they went into the studio....

Yep, they finally did. Hoo-fekkin-ray already :D

The End is one of the centrepeice tracks of the up and coming NEW cd (wonders will never cease, will they?) Nine Lives. Considering the near two year gap between these two releases, I'd say that Silvertrain were a bit slow. Not their fault though because, as we all know, the path of true internet music rarely runs smoothly. Encountering and overcoming all kinds of obstacles is the true sign of committment and I for one dedicated Silvertrain fan am all the happier for it. Even more so once I 'empty my mind and let it go' and drown in the splendours of The End - which is odd, because it's really the beginning, if you know what I mean.

No? Funny, neither do I now....

Ever the masters of the short, sharp thrill, The End is almost a two minute wonder, weighing in at a 0 size model time of 1:57. I am under the impression that what I have is a fairly rough mix version, and that there is more to be done to the track yet. So if I mention the voice being a bit dry, and some other small niggles you'll get the picture. While you are fixing up those things guys, maybe you should think about putting an extension in there too of - say - about seven minutes.... Come on, you owe us that much after all this time (Ed: falls off his chair laughing). Seriously, and all jokes aside, this is a very, very welcome sight and one I have waited extremely patiently for. So has it lived up to the hype? You betcha, although it needs some more work in arrangement, production and final gloss, the root is the song is most definitely the Silvertrain we know and love. A work in progress but still eminently listenable for old fans and new listeners alike, you won't find much on Soundclick better than Silvertrain when they are cooking...

Highly Recommended, can't wait for the album version...

No comments: