Thursday, September 28, 2006

Monkeyswirl - Move

Hear The Track Here

When I first encountered Canadian acoustic rock artist Monkeyswirl, he immediately pressed all my favourite musical buttons. Sweet acoustic rock, layered and meaningful vocals and a song with a sense of itself. All those things were shown in Late In The Evening (August 2006) which I described as classic acoustic rock. Move moves things on a great deal further in my opinion and I think we start to get an idea of just what we are dealing with here. So let me admit extreme bias from the outset because Monkeyswirl has everything I like in an artist; style, class and a touch for knowing just how far to go.

Move is a classic example of how to do this right.

I think I was sold on this track as soon as I heard it but - in this case - I had a further duty to perform. I was asked to check if there was any difference between the downloadable file and the hi-fi play track and - to be honest - I can't see any discernible differences. Both versions show off the track as well as can be expected but obviously the download version is preferable. Obviously it would sound better at 192kbit/s but hey, that's just splitting hairs. The version that I have is fine enough for just about anyone's ears I would say.

Monkeyswirl promised a lot on that first track and I really feel he has delivered exactly that on Move, a very moody number indeed. Set in a much heavier, rockier soundscape than the previous track, Move delights me in endless ways. It's faultless vocals have to be a decided highlight, but the depth and quality of sound that is accompanying that vocal is every bit as up to the job. At the end of the day, Move is a great song, produced and performed to a very high standard and a track I would be proud to have made (Ed: what he actually means is that he is pigsick that he didn't make this track) So, having fessed up about my vaunting bias already it should come as no surprise that I really, really rate this track and - should you give it a listen - I think you may too.

Highly Recommended. A beautiful track.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
I don't know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Feel free to surf to my web blog; reactive steel targets (support.shareprice.co.uk)