Saturday, May 29, 2010

Wake N Bake Beats - Stronger

Hear The Track Here

Although almost every site I hang around in has its share of hip hop musicians and rappers none has more than Soundclick, where you may be able to snag a hip hop number one if you can manage to sound better (Ed: or game better) than approximately one and a half million other tracks. Think about it. One and a half million tracks!! I have only heard a tiny, tiny fraction of this insane number over the years I have been reviewing on Soundclick but have definitely formed some hard opinions because of it. While a great deal of hip hop tracks on the site are fairly generic, and almost all home produced in some form, there are ocassional glints of promise and nowhere more so than with rappers.

Soundclick has some very handy rappers indeed, and a great many have very distinctive rap styles and/or sound and it is a sound I have come to associate with Soundclick's unique way of marrying beatmakers with rappers. I think Wake N Bake Beats have gone down this route, a path I might add that is strewn with traps for the unwary to fall into ass first. Not sure if Koncept Beat is one of Soundclick's 'beat factories' but they are behind the musical side of this track and - truth to tell - they do a pretty good job of it. Or at least they do, as far as I can tell.

The hardest trick is to marry the beat to the rap and, to give them their due, this does happen but it does create some additional problems along the way. Mind you, if you don't like swearing and cusswords in music, you probably won't get past the first few bars so not to worry anyway. For the rest of us who don't mind when ******* is a main proponent of speech, Stronger is - at best - a reasonable effort. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't heard much better raps, in terms of flow and ideas, but (from what I can gather) this is a new(ish) musician who obviously has room to grow. The biggest no-no, however, was technical. There is a massive volume surge at certain points that is very, very noticeable and needs to be corrected whatever one might think about the rap.

No comments: