Monday, May 31, 2010

Ralph Atkinson - New Haircut - remix

Hear The Track Here

Don't know whether it's the amount of tracks I've ploughed through this month or what but I feel distinctly rocked out. The overwhelming number of rock or rock related tracks this month has been stunning. Usually I can manage to break it up with some stuff from other places but even the blog has supplied rock this month. Sheesh, it never rains but it pours eh? Ralph Atkinson then has two hurdles to climb; my prevailing ennui about rock music this month and secondly by having such a perfect track to start me off. I refer, of course, to Building A Time Machine (October 2009), which is a solid slice of blues rock that brooks no denial. Unfortunately, none of the subsequent tracks have had that impact.

But there is always a next time, right?

As always when I see the remix word, I go straight to the original to get a picture of what it started as, and to be honest I can't see that much difference between the two, except that the remix sounds a little cleaner and tighter. It's a kind of funk rock originally recorded quickly for the Coconut Blues Club "Funk Challenge" whose deadline Ralph had too meet, hence the two versions. Obviously, in this case, I would certainly point to the remix as the track to listen but - as I say - there isn't really much difference.

As I mentioned, I've become rock weary this month and I suspect Ralph is paying a bit of a price for that because I did warm to New Haircut once I played it for a while, but only in a 'oh that's interesting' kinda way. There again, I do like musicians who do what they want, and to hell with the rest of us and - lets face it - there's always room for more rock. I don't know, maybe I'm becoming a purist in my advancing years, but I yearn for Ralph to do another track with the authenticity of Building A Time Machine.

Recommended funk rock.

No comments: