Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Gangbangsters - Hip Death

Hear The Track Here

I've known about California's Gangbangsters since 2008 and have reviewed at least a handful of his (obviously drrrr) tracks, all of them different to what you would expect from a self confessed Alternative artist. He's dabbled very successfully in proto-punk and even classic rock but - as yet - hasn't really come up with something to make me pause. There is always time though, especially when a musician is developing as rapidly as this one seems to be doing.

Hip Death is yet another Gangbangsters track that made me stop and think, not because it's too brainy for its own good but because it's so surprising. The very last thing I expected to pour out of my speakers was heavy metal a la Motorhead (complete with Lemmy-like vocal). There again, this is a musician that has surprised me time and again and although I might not like Hip Death as much as a real heavy mettaller (wtf kind of word is that??) would, I can certainly appreciate the powerhouse under the hood.

Mind you, there's something weird about the snare and I'm not sure what it is, and this has a very lo-fi approach but that's to be expected given that its a blend of heavy metal and thrash. Having said that, it isn't enough I think for anyone to get steamed up about and certainly the energy and creativity going on in the track more than makes up for any kind of shortfall elsewhere. I even heard hints of the Beastie Boys in there, and that's - for me anyway - a massive plus. Stuff the audio quality, get the attitude.

Recommended ProtoPunk.

No comments: