Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Silvertrain - Falling Apart

Hear The Track Here

Well, well well, things continue to look up in the Silvertrain camp, despite any shadows the title of this track might be throwing. Actually you also need to ignore the fact that this is John Brandon yet again up to his tricks. He states, quite brazenly I might add, that Falling Apart is 'me and a guitar that's all', and if that doesn't remind you of the time when it seemed ALL Silvertrain tracks consisted of this where have you been? Except you, I know you went to the toilet. Now, where was I? Ah yes... Not that I have anything whatsoever against John's guitar playing, singing or songwriting but I do prefer it when he and Ritchie and/or anyone else can be roped in to lend a hand. The problem is that John's songs are actually quite hard to grasp in this format but - unfailingly - work like bejeezus when you apply a bit of poke to the track.

Funny thing that, but true.

So what exactly has 'me and a guitar that's all' come up with this time? There's no doubt about it as the years roll on, the quality of his songs improve, as does his ability to render them accurately. There's no doubt his focus is describing the song rather any flashy footwork (Ed: flashy fretwork surely?). Consequently, if some geezer sitting in a corner strumming some pretty chords and whispering sweet nothings in your ear doesn't float your musical boats, best bail out now. Personally I like John's songwriting style, and indeed his measured, sure guitar accompaniments but I know it won't be to everyone's taste. Until, that is, it receives the official Silvertrain touch and then anything is possible. I know, I've seen it a time or two...

First thing that struck me was the depth of John's vocal these days; a very warm, liquid sound just touched the the teeniest reverb. Just right. If I had to get all tight assed about one thing it would be that the guitar doesn't really come across as well as it should, it's a bit bass heavy IMHO. Still, be charitable, this is one of John's more notable 'song demos' and one that I would heartily recommend for the aforementioned Silvertrain touch. Then stand back and be careful not to singe your eyebrows...

Bare bones acoustic song. Recommended.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.