Friday, November 13, 2009

JPC (NZ) - Queen Bee

Hear The Track Here

'Whichever it is, this is a great track' was the end result of my very first encounter with New Zealand musician John Paul Carroll (JPC NZ geddit??). The aforementioned great track was an odd sounding, yet very likable pop rock song by the name of This Time (January 2006) which became the first in a long line of impressive tracks John Paul made throughout 2007 and 2008 - all performed under the bandname of Fluidity. It was, as it happened, an absolutely perfect name both for JP's playing style, songwriting ability and prodigious output. He took a break for a while and returned earlier this year in his new JPC NZ guise and I've already reviewed a couple of tracks from this source.

John Paul is definitely an acquired taste, something I have said time and time again. It isn't everyone who is taken by his vocal style but over the years I have grown to like it a great deal and - when is all is said and done - the man can rock with some considerable authority regardless of the song. It helps, mind, that he is also an excellent songwriter and lyricist and Queen Bee is a fine example of what this particular musician does best. If you try this and don't like it, you really shouldn't listen to anything else he has done because it all sounds the same.

Uh oh, that didn't come out right at all.

As I say, I am a long term fan and I like pretty much everything that he puts out BECAUSE of that very distinctive sound. He hasn't changed it overly much over the three years or so I've been listening to him and why should he? It certainly ain't broke so not in need of fixing. It's been a long, long time since I had to say anything technical about JP's work, he's way too good at what he does to be caught out with a blipper or two - and again that's what makes him listenable. The song is 'dedicated to anyone who's bitten my head off without due cause' and shows that you don't want to be making this guy angry. Queen Bee is a solid chunk of class rock that can only have come from the head of one man, like him or loathe him. I know what side I'm on.

Highly Recommended energy rock.

No comments: