Monday, November 30, 2009

Daniel Eboli - Sapiens Ludens

Hear The Track Here

Out of the two Daniel Eboli tracks I have so far reviewed, I've liked what I've heard. Not that much of a surprise when you see that Daniel Eboli is from Brazil and classed as a World musician, as I am known to be partial to this genre. A genre I am absolutely NOT partial to is New Age and even then Daniel managed to slip one of those by me too, and with no bruising. Says something then about the quality of this musicians work that he can work in an area I despise and still manage to come up with something I can't pick fault with. Doncha just hate it when that happens? Or when someone says - over to Daniel again - 'made in 30 minutes. It just popped out of my fingers'

Ooops, like my finger just popped in your eye? Grrr.

There again, once you get down to the music Daniel comes out with, it's the quality (in all ways) that counts, and wins people over - or at least that's the way I see it. OK, let me get this out of the way. I hate plinky, tinkly things in general and the many tools to tinkle with electronically in particular. One of the banes of my life over the past few years has been the bloody awful sound committed by things called 'pluckers' - yep, FL I'm looking at you - which IMHO should be something else that has 'uck' in it. Even here though, the despair is enormous because the line that Daniel comes out with is soooo pretty you just can't shout at it. Believe me, I tried.

Considering he made this in 30 minutes, the man did good and is a representation of just how good he can be when he's really trying. Mind you, having said that, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with Sapiens Whatsname and much that is just plain gorgeous. About the worst thing I can come up with is that it has more than a whiff of New Age about it but - like Spazio (August 2009) - the quality of the music and melodies gets it over that hurdle. Mind you, I hope this is not going to become an everyday occurrence. All those plinky things make me well twitchy, and that's not good. Not good at all.

Excellent World/New Age (even if dashed off in a moment). Recommended.

No comments: