Sunday, January 25, 2009

Conory - She's From Venus

Hear The Track Here

Better not be saying that around my wife otherwise she may very well knock you to that planet. This is the third track I have been asked to review from UK based Alternative artist Conory, and look back over the past couple of reviews shows that he hasn't fared too badly at my hands gathering highly recommended's from both tracks. Much more to the point as far as I am concerned is that Conory is a man who writes songs; real songs with lyrics and all. It's amazing how many tracks get filed under Alternative that don't fulfill this most basic of requirements, still that's just me kvetching (Ed: huh?) again...

Surprisingly enough the first reference I encountered was with the main riff and it took me several plays to pin it down but its definitely a Michael Jackson riff, the second reference is to a Bananarama song also called Venus which the beginning of the chorus definitely echoes. Still, after a few plays, that plagaristic feeling wore off, after all everything that can be done with music has been done at least once and in some cases done to death. The general feel of the track also echoes the 1980's with its bassline and the overall arrangement and - to me anyway - that's not a bad thing.

After listening to the track more than a few times, I began to feel that the overall sound was a tad thin and distinctly home produced - although not in a bad way. All depends what you are looking for from a track I guess, but if you want something that is both retro (in some ways) and bang up to date (in other overall sound ways) then She's From Venus will probably ring a few of your favourite bells. Speaking personally, I think this musician has made better tracks and definitely much better sounding tracks but as an example of his songwriting skills this should show you enough to make you go and listen to some of his better material and that is ALWAYS a good thing. On that note, also have a listen to version 2 of this track which IMHO sounds a LOT better than the original I reviewed.

Recommended (with musical references galore) Pop.

No comments: