Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Apesoundscapes - BlackHole Heart

Hear The Track Here

Although he is not the most prolific musician around, UK based Carl Best (aka Apesoundscapes) is certainly one of the more interesting ones I have come across in the last few years. I think the tally of Ape tracks that has passed through my ears now numbers a princely four, spread over what, three years. See what I mean? Not quick but definitely worthwhile. Past tracks have had rave reviews from me and even a Must Have for Out Of The Cold (March 2006), a wicked slice of electronica that still resides on my hard drive to this day. Blackhole Heart is billed as Alternative and Carl even describes it as 'guitar based electro pop or something', the something being - good grief - a song.

If I didn't know that Carl was English, I would have sworn that this was an American track, in sound and style. No lyrics online unfortunately so you have to gather whatever you can from the track itself, but what you will find is a well realised Alternative song that has tremendous charm. Must say, I am surprised to hear Carol rocking out like this but it was a pleasant experience and one I am hoping will set a new direction for this talented musician (and songwriter/vocalist apparently). Having said that it shouldn't come as that much of a surprise considering that Welcome Home (October 2007) was in much the same mode, except with a distinctly English sound that had more to do with the Mancunian (Manchester, England) scene than anything else.

As much as I liked the track as a song, I couldn't help but notice a certain looseness in the vocals that could have done with being a bit tighter but maybe thats just me being my usual curmudgeonly self. For sure, if all things Alternative floats your boats, this is one track you will be happy to come across although you will have to live with it for a while for it to really sink in. There are some very nice touches in the production but plenty of rough spots too showing a definite 'home produced' sound but not one that would be evident to yer average punter. For my part I came away from the track wishing it could have been tighter in most respects but when you get into the song it really doesn't matter that much.

Rough but ready Alternative. Recommended.

No comments: