Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tedd-Z - Deadbeat

Hear The Track Here

Yet another in a long line of 'edgy electronic nonsense' tracks from MP3 Unsigned bad boy Tedd-Z looms into view, it's impending presence somewhat alleviated by the fact that his last track gained a Must Have from me. Now if you could just stop rubbing your eyes in disbelief, we'll get on. Senseless Logic (March 2008) absolutely blew me away; a match of electronica and dancehall that worked a treat and - as I said at the time - possibly one of the most innovative tracks I am likely to hear this year. Such turnarounds are the stuff of Tedd-Z legend. He may be mad but he ain't completely bad...

er...if you know what I mean.

If I didn't know any better I would class the electronica that makes up Deadbeat as techno and I think I've said enough about my thoughts on the genre to last you all a lifetime. Stretching that out to over five minutes might even be seen as provocative to those people (like me) with a aversion to the genre. Still, I've known Tedd-Z for a long, long time and am very aware of his many foibles, and techno has long been one of them. He's also been around to know that a simple four-to-the-floor is not really going to cut it. To be sure there is a fair amount of rigid timekeeping (the hi-hats are particularly busy) but all in all, it's not a bad listen.

Tedd-Z has grown enormously as a musician and as a producer in the years I have known him and Deadbeat is adequate testimony to his skills. For techno, it's quite engaging, mostly because he can generally conjure up some weird sounds and Deadbeat has lots and lots. Probably one of the most basic tracks he has done in a long while but it still has something that almost anyone could get a lift out of. Just don't expect to get wowed by some great musical experience - you should go back to Senseless Logic for that.

Recommended techno-ish Electronica.

No comments: