Monday, May 12, 2008

Prash - Give Up Now

Hear The Track Here

Over the past two or three years I have discovered a lot more about India, and Indian musicians than at any other time in my life. I lot of it is down to the one-off 'oh hi, review my track' request but much much more has come from two or three special Indian artists I have become very fond of. Obviously my Artist Of The Year 2007 - Omnisine, also from Mumbai - came as no surprise to anybody but I think Prash has much the same potential except he has been kinda quiet for a while. Even so he did score a Track of the year 2007 with Naach Na Na (September 2007) so he doesn't have much to complain about.

Prash has always been more into rock than just about anything else, and its his rock work that first brought him to my attention. His feel for the genre is special as is evidenced by earlier tracks such as But You're a Loser Prash (March 2005), Weep Over The Demise Of Rock (September 2004) and My Baby Is A Fine, Fine Wine (October 2004) none of which - unfortunately - seem to be on Prash's page. This is the only rock song on the page so you'd better make the most of it. In the meantime I intend to go through all those Hindi film tracks he has going on...

Ah, yes, but what of this track?

Give Up Now is billed as Electro Rock/Heavy Metal and carries a Parental Advisory so it's obviously a mean mofo and best avoided by those susceptible to a good cursing. In feel, and in instrumentation, Give Up Now comes in as something that sounds like it belongs in the early 1970's or even slightly earlier and is a lot tougher than the intro would suggest. Again, it's Prash's attention to period detail, and his unerring ability to nail the genre that scores for me. The early David Bowie would have been proud to have this track...

Highly Recommended 70's style rock (with a unique difference...)

No comments: