Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Antennaheadz - Shy

Hear The Track Here

Shy is probably the last word you would ever associate with Soundclick veteran - can they be grizzled veterans even at 20something? - Thomas J aka endless alter egos and The Antennaheadz. He's never been backwards about coming forwards, if you get my drift. Right from the first time I ever heard him, he stamped his particular style on my review sheet and hasn't stopped since. Sometimes with terrifying results but often coming up with something that was different, challenging and yay exciting even.

Of late that has especially been the case, as the past year has been marked by a massive shift in musical focus and a strengthening songwriting hand that, although simple, can be remarkably effective. One of the things this artist has always managed to do with regularity is to surprise me, and that's a hard thing to do with any consistency. Since the later part of last year Thomas hit an appealing lo-fi acoustic side of him and Shy is a logical progression from that beginning.

It's a softer, gentler sound than he's ever done before and is even - dare I say this without derision? - tasteful in a kinda Thomas J way. While I admit that I found it a very pleasant experience, I couldn't swear that Shy is the kind of track I would personally want to hug to my scrawny chest. Mind you, it IS tasteful and understated, and the slight musical addition right at the end made perfect sense. The sort of thing that makes you nod your head and say 'nice' a lot. Maybe that's the reason I don't want to hug it to my scrawny chest! I don't do nice. Thomas J obviously does though....

Very basic alternative but a good song. Recommended.

No comments: