Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Steve Gilmore Reviews: Cam's Evensong - Ticket To A Miracle

Hear The Track Here

Seems like my month for mega tracks because having Onemob's 16 minute marathon and Cam's almost eight minute Ticket track back to back took up ACRES of time.... Come on, do you know how much time you need to listen to these longer tracks?? Sheesh.... :D I'm joking of course and I realise that it's only coincidence that places these two tracks together and not a God Against Gilmore plot to wear out my ears quicker than lots of three minute jobbies.... Still, it had me wondering there for a minute or two...

After all, I wouldn't put it past Onemob, Cam OR God. Or, it might just be the meds....

Now I like Cam's work as much as I like him as a human being. Some of his tracks have sent the proverbial shivers down my spine and others have been - how can I put this? - workmanlike. Despite all appearances to the contrary, I beleive it is harder to review tracks by ones friends because you want to say good things about them, but when you can't, it gets very, very hard. In Cam's case, I believe he would want me not to hold back so I will not, and hope that he takes this in the spirit intended. The reason I say this is because I distinctly remember him saying he was especially proud of this track; and I can only find one reason for that pride - and that has to be from the musicians point of view only. Ticket To A Miracle MUST have been a right bitch to put together, particularly as it's vocals and arrangement is detailed to the nth degree - it's obvious how much work has gone into this song.

However, it's impact, at least for me is extremely diffuse. See, I want a track that makes my jaw drop, makes my ears turn somersaults on my head and fuzzes my brain to the point of distraction. To my ears Ticket To A Miracle is too much of a musicians song than something that Joe Q Public will find easy to sing along to. Moreover, its not exactly easily accessible, even if the light instrumentation and feel give that initial impression. If I had to categorise this track I'd say it would sound good enough to put on an album but even then it would count as filler; especially when put against some of Cam's better work (IMHO obviously) such as Scream or even Just The Truth On Christmas. For my money this is just too lightweight in too many respects for it to make any meaningful impact on me, and that seems to be the the truth no matter how many times I play it to see if there is something I have missed or that struck me as in any way different. I'll exist on those stronger tracks for the time being and wonder if I can weather the opprobrium that's going to get heaped on my head for saying what I have said. I suppose I should be thankful that Cam's fans tend to be of the more peaceful variety...

For fans only, I fear.

No comments: