Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sukuta - Out There

Hear The Track Here


A new name to me, finally, from Soundclick, Sukuta on paper looks like a sure fire winner - at least for me. Anyone who can drag 'sounds from the Yorkshire moors, the Australian Aboriginals and a street in Thailand' into a musical conversation is OK in my books. Then to go on and mention 'Arab and classical influences, European soprano, New Zealand Haka and Siberian Shaman Throat Singers'... caaamm on, you had me at 'sounds' know what I mean? See, you have just listed the very things that appeal to me in the most basic musical way and World music has always been my preferred genre and I've been in it long enough to recognise the good (and the bad) in it.

I think Sukuta and I have a few samplesets/instruments in common because there is much I recognise in his music, not necessarily a bad thing I like to think. Quality isn't really a problem here, I am really picky about what I use on my own tracks, so I guess Sukuta is too. Having hoovered up all four tracks on his Soundclick page instantly, I can see why he picked Out There for review because it is, by far, the best track on there in every way. That's not to say the others don't work, they do but not in the same, seamless way that Out There does it. For me, as a world musician, it's that melding together of instruments and styles that makes the best tracks, so that nothing can be added or taken away.

All the very best world music stands its own ground, regardless of whether you like the genre or not and IMHO most of it is exciting and vibrant, and as experimental as all get out. I like people who play with 'out there' and this musician can do inspiring and atmospheric, usually on the same track. One small problem I find, at least IMO, is that a lot of the tracks have a tendency to wander off after a while and so, I suspect, would the listener. A lot of the time the tracks (including this one) could have been shorter, and certainly more concentrated on a couple of musical themes at most. At over seven minutes and then some, this is a lot to take in.

Recommended world music.

No comments: