Friday, November 18, 2011

Painted Water - Finding Tomorrow (Remastered)

Hear The Track Here


You know, if you let it, this reviewing malarky can really go to a person's head (Ed: O....M.....G, everybody duck) It's the dazzling power of it all ya see, it tempts lesser men to quail and run screaming from the building with their hands flapping like a girl. I long ago learned that hearing something by another musician is always but always a personal taste thing, although (as you know) I have a liking for the technical side of the story too. However, when Painted Water sidled up to me (as they do) and muttered 'I am going to try my other style. Please don't hate it too much' as if I had any say in it. I long ago set my ears free (as possible) and open to all comers and I don't think I hate anything (Ed: except let's see: disco, cheesy pop, prog rock, lifeless American rock, soundtracks of any stripe, ambient, meditative...)

OK pal, we get the picture...probably best to be forearmed.

So, if this is his 'other' style, what's his main style, you may ask; or not depending on how lazy you are. Well, seeing as you asked (Ed: wtf??) thus far two other Painted Water tracks have flowed past me ears; Feastia Of The Sun (August 2010) and The Chase feat John Holgate (September 2010) but of them lovingly crafted works of true world music, with The Chase being of the meatier, rockier variety and both absolute Must Have's for that. His 'other' style then just happens to be Classical of the Symphonic variety (Ed: ..and you hate that). I can't say I go out of my way to listen to indie classical generally because IMHO it just doesn't get the tone and sound right.

Based on Painted Water's previous very high standard of work though, even a dyed-in-the-wool hard hearted sob like myself can risk it for a biscuit. After all, how bad could it be?? Well the good news is that it isn't bad at all, in fact it's damn near excellent - for a string thingy. So yeah it's all a bit dramatic and smells strongly of soundtrackery (a sin akin to witchcraft IMO), it's sheer style and sweep is enough to placate even philistines like me. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding, and - given my natural antipathy towards the genre - is that I listened to this a lot more than was strictly necessary. very pretty piece indeed.

Highly Recommended stringy thingy (Ed: I am soooo despondent right now...)

No comments: