Sunday, September 25, 2011

Gangbangsters - Here Lies What's Left Of Me

Hear The Track Here


Certainly doesn't seem like it but I just noticed while doing this review that I've known Californian musician Ryan Wixted (aka Gangbangsters) for nearly four years. Unless you heard tracks from Shoelaces (September 2009) to Choke (August 2011) you would not have seen the changes and twists and turns Gangbangsters has taken until he has become 'one of the brightest spots of originality on Soundclick' I wrote that in my review of Choke which, while not exactly easy listening showed that Gangbangsters may yet be undergoing even more changes. His style has become increasingly electronic as opposed to the hip hop/punk blends that has been his staple in the past.

A change is as good as a rest, they say. Stupid remark, I say.

See I have grown fond of that hip hop punky thing but it is only right that a musician should experiment and Gangbangsters have gained a reputation for going places with genres, as I found out while reviewing Choke (his last track) To my ears Here Lies What's Left Of Me improves on Choke but only because it is less experimental than Choke. Don't get me wrong, I like experimental, but I fully understand that not everyone does and if I were truthful about it, it would have to be astoundingly original for me to rave over these days. Not a good space for Gangbangsters to be then, at this point...

Here Lies What's Left Of Me turns out to be a piece of experimental blended with some nice hard edged guitar that, for me, makes it an easy listen, certainly more so than Choke. Again though, it's a bit too slight a piece to really make much of impression beyond 'ooo that's nice'. That's the problem with coming up with tracks the calibre of I'm an Epidemic, Get Retarded and the ever popular Letzgetfuctup both of which will give you a much better sense of what this musician is capable of. Interesting diversion for sure, but this is nothing like as good as he can be.

Recommended electronica.

No comments: