Thursday, May 12, 2011

Weylin's Slayer Orchestra - Endless Suffering

Hear The Track Here


I have to 'fess up and admit that when I first encountered Weylin's Slayer Orchestra I thought I was in for some endless suffering all of my very own. I have to say, in my own defense, that it was probably a lot to do with not understanding what this musician was about. Having done some (counts on fingers) five reviews now, I find myself liking the music more and more. Technically, however, it's often a different story but that is one of the drawbacks of home recording, especially when you are still experimenting with how best to do it. Having said that, Weylin's Slayer Orchestra, are pretty good musically, having a metal edge that I most definitely appreciate especially when the music wanders into genres known to be poisonous to Gilmore-kind.

Such as prog-rock.

Endless Suffering is the title track from the forthcoming album/CD/thing Weylin has been working on so a couple of things need to be pointed out. Firstly, it's probably best to approach this track as a work in progress. It's currently an instrumental (as is the bulk of his work) but lyrics have been written and (presumably) a singer is being sought. It could be YOU!! Obviously from a stylistic point of view, you will have heard lots of things that are similar and that may, or may not, be a good thing. Depends on your view of prog-rock music I guess. Mind you, I do see the reasoning behind wanting vocals on this track, it certainly cries out for them.

If nothing else Weylin's Slayer Orchestra do provide a pretty convincing show, and Endless Suffering is no exception, showing the guitar skills that are a major part of what this musician does. Moreover, it doesn't suffer from the same fate as previous tracks where the music was marred by drum tracks that just didn't match the action. There again, this is a fairly slow, almost majestic piece at times - as befits the genre - and that alone keeps the attention. I'm really keen on instrumentals per se, I get to hear way too damn many of them but this was surprisingly easy listen. Be interesting to see what kind of song comes out of this.

Highly Recommended prog rock nonetheless.

No comments: