Monday, May 30, 2011

Gangbangsters - Get Retarded

Hear The Track Here


So as beautifully non-PC (not the computer folks) as ever, Gangbangsters enter the fray yet again. Gangbangsters peppered 2010 (and got a substantial namecheck in the Stevies!) with some great tracks; Yellow Haze, Brainwashed and the awesome Letzgetfuctup all of which ended up in my Tracks Of The Year 2010 list. No small achievement and it shows that there is much, much more to hip hop if you look in the right places. Ryan Wixted (aka Gangbangsters) - along with a few other Soundclick rappers - has shown me a whole new side to the genre that owes more to indie than hip hop although the blend (in every case) is just right.

Like the best of these new rappers, Gangbangsters doesn't need to bang on and on about 'gettin' paid' or parading with the riches and bitches or even swearing as a second language. Well yes, I suppose that he does bang on somewhat about getting a) fuctup or b) retarded but he means it in the nicest possible way. Musically, I think this is the most bare-assed track I've ever heard from him and that stripped down to essentials bring out his lyrics exceptionally well. Admittedly I do have a bias about this artist, because nobody - and I mean nobody - could ever better Letzgetfuctup as the ultimate party animal track. A singular achievement in my world.

So if you are looking for regular hip hop, this isn't the place although if you are into the whole flow thing then this is a definite listen, this guy knows his stuff - even on a track with virtually no meat on its bones. I've always liked this musicians desire to bring a different slant to the table and - given the opportunity - this track is up there with his better works. For sure, it's pretty lo-fi and - if I were honest - an over-reliance on the solid rhythm as the vehicle but that's a very small quibble when you get into the whole head nodding thing... This one almost dislocated my neck. I'd love to hear a metal version of this (hint hint)

Excellent Indie hip hop. Highly Recommended.

No comments: