Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Scheezy McGee - Hands

Hear The Track Here

I've been watching the rise of rock based rappers on Soundclick with some interest seeing as it combines two of my favourite food groups. Continued exposure to Twizzie, Gangbangsters et al have only sharpened that interest so I was well pleased when I discovered that Scheezy McGee was one of this distinct breed. L.O.V.E. (August 2010) was the first track I had ever heard from this American musician and well pleasing it was too, if a little too close to mainstream hiphop for my own taste. Nonetheless, there was an overall feel that got me about that track and the list of his influences bodes well as another rapper willing to take chances in musical direction and one track is not enough to satisfy that curiosity.

OK, grip yourselves, this may be a bit of a shock. Take a listen to the first twenty seconds of this track and tell me who it reminds you of. Yep, our very own Thomas J Marchant, vocally at least. That disappears quickly enough when the rap takes up centre stage and between that and a stomping chorus this will have you by the second or third play. You will need to have a tolerance for rough sound mind, and a much greater ability to pick up on the structure and tone of the song than with (say) his first track but by God, this one pushes all my go buttons.

A couple of years ago I found myself really liking an artist called stain(ed) art, a UK rapper who employed the same kind of musical lineup as Scheezy is using to such great effect on this track. In many ways it reminds me of just how fresh this sound is, even when its wrapped in a rough as old boots mix. Listen carefully though to the musical twists and turns of this track and, despite its faults, it will grow on you - especially if you like the genre anyway. So out of the two, I definitely prefer Mr McGee on a rock tip and I'm probably going to hang on to this a while longer...

Highly Recommended (for the ideas) rap song.

No comments: